Ginger Cake

Sunday, 1 August 2010

Imagine a soft, tender cake that's filled with the spiciness of fresh ginger, mixed with the slight bitterness of treacle.

The cake is not too sweet, so you can taste the trace of cinnamon, cloves and black pepper in the background.

The colour is a dark, gorgeous mahogany that looks rich but, when you take a bite, the cake is quite light.

Mmmmm . . . what could be better than a slice of ginger cake on a rainy day? Let me see . . . . A slice of ginger cake on a sunny day! Or cloudy day. Or any day  regardless of the weather!

The recipe I use is from David Lebovitz. It's a stir and mix cake that requires no beating or creaming at all. It's dead easy and done in a jiffy. Absolutely nothing can go wrong if you measure the ingredients correctly, set the timer, and a meteor doesn't hit your house.

GINGER CAKE
Adapted from David Lebovitz's recipe
(For 2 persons)

240 ml boiling water 
2 tsp baking soda
115 g ginger
peel, rinse and mince finely
120 ml treacle
200 g sugar
1 cup peanut oil
350 g plain flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ tsp ground cloves
½ tsp ground black pepper
2 eggs

Preheat oven to 175°C. Line bottom of 23 x 7.5 cm round cake pan with parchment paper.

Pour boiling water over baking soda. Add treacle, sugar and oil. Stir thoroughly. Sift plain flour, cinnamon, cloves and black pepper into mixture. Mix till almost even. Add eggs. Mix till just even.

Pour batter into cake pan. Bake till top of cake springs back lightly when pressed or skewer into center of cake comes out clean, about 1 hour.

Let cake cool on wire rack for 30 minutes. Run knife around sides of cake. Remove cake from pan. Peel off parchment paper.

18 comments:

cake recipes said...

I really like the sound of your cake recipe (pictures would have made a big difference though,lol!)
I'm curious how the ginger flavor will blend with all the creaminess and sweetness. I'd really love to give this a go. I simply love baking and I don't mind hanging around the kitchen for most of my day. :)

KT said...

Hello Cake Recipes

I took some photos today. They're in today's post: http://kitchentigress.blogspot.com/2010/08/davids-fresh-ginger-cake-photos.html

Google 'david lebovitz fresh ginger cake' and you'll see it's a very popular recipe. After trying it, I have to agree it's very good.

Blur Ting said...

I'm baking one in the oven now. I've no molasses or treacle at home, so I used brown sugar, the kind used for boiling liang teh. I hope it works.

KT said...

Note to self and others from BT: replace mild molasses or treacle with 1/2 cup liang teh sugar. Works just as well! Failing that, I'm sure ang moh dark brown/muscovado sugar would rise to the task!

teo ai li said...

Hi KT, lian teh sugar = gula melaka? If wrong, is it the orange color sugar that is eaten with puto mayam? What is the gm weight of this 1/2 cup of liang teh sugar? Thanks!

KT said...

Hi ai li

lian teh sugar = 黑糖, available at shops that sell Chinese herbs, and some supermarts. It's very dark brown, almost black, and soft.

1/2 cup *packed* is around 100 g, I think.

teo aili said...

Hi KT, thanks for your reply. I will check out the shops. I don't have a 9"x3" round tray. What would be the substitute and any change in baking time? I don't have molasses so can I use honey instead and how much? What is the gm weight of 4oz of ginger? Thanks!

KT said...

Hi hi

You can use a square tin that's 8 x 3 inches. No change in baking time. 黑糖 replaces the molasses. There's no need to use honey. 4 oz ginger = 112 g.

Cheers.

teo ai li said...

Thank you KT! You mean 8"x8"x3" square baking tin right?

KT said...

Yes, 8 x 8 x 3.

Rjdaseah said...

Hi KT, finally I got to try out this cake yesterday.  My family ate it with ice cream and they loved it.  Some questions here -

Is this cake supposed to be dense like a fruit cake? 

My cake does not have the sticky layer as you mentioned in your above write-up so is it a successful cake?  I followed the recipe to a T.

My cake is not as dark as in the picture.  I used black Thai sugar; its not black in color but darker brown.

Other  than these, the cake is good! 

 

Rjdaseah said...

Sorry KT, 1 more.........the are tunnels within the cake.  What did I do wrong?

KT said...

Hi Rjdaseah

Did you use mild molasses or treacle (aka dark molasses)? If you did, the cake should have a sticky top unless the baking temperature and/or baking time is too high/long. An oven that's too hot can also cause tunnels in cakes. These tunnels can also be caused by overmixing (of flour and wet ingredients).

My ginger cake looks very dark because it's made with treacle, which is black (really black; not dark brown). If you use mild molasses or Thai palm sugar instead, your cake would be a lighter shade. There was a comment before that said Chinese black sugar is a good substitute for molasses. I've tried it and I can't say I agree. Molasses are molasses, whereas black sugar or even palm sugar is sugar with molasses. Actually, Chinese black sugar may be just white sugar with artificial food colouring, with no molasses at all.

Ai Li said...

Thanks KT, for your prompt response.  I didn't use molasses instead I used black sugar from Thailand.  Probably, next time I will use Molasses and don't stir the mixture too much and see how it will turn out.  Thanks again!

Jade said...

Hi KT, just one quick question. 175 F? Or Celsius?

KT said...

Sorry, that should be C. Mistake amended.

Anne Liew said...

Hi,KT may i knw what is treacle for ginger cakes.

Jocelyn said...

This tasted incredible! Plus the texture was better than anything I thought was possible from something so quickly mixed together. I divided the amount of ingredients, poured it into an 8 by 4 loaf pan and baked it for 50 minutes. The crumb turned out so tender and the amount of sugar was spot on perfect. Plus, the crust was amazing--so sticky and sugary, rather than the tough bread-tasting crust that usually comes out of my previous quick breads. Thank you so much for this recipe!

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...